Oct 30, 2013

Ofelia Adeline's birth story

Well today marks 4 weeks since we brought little sister home so I figured I should write her birth story down so I won't forget it. I still can't believe she's 4 weeks old!

October 1st- 1 day before my due date and we had our last prenatal class that night. My blood pressure had been consistently high and I was starting to show signs of preeclampsia so I'd been tested twice at the hospital but everything came back negative. We went to our class and was having our "tummy time" with a midwife that I'd only seen once before so I was kinda bummed since I wouldn't be able to discuss a birth plan with my regular midwife. Well turns out my blood pressure was high again and Kim (the midwife) said ok I'm done messing around with your blood pressure so you're going to the hospital right now to get extensive testing and we'll induce you tonight if it's positive and tomorrow if it's negative. We were both in shock! We weren't ready for that at all so luckily my mom was already watching Link and we packed up our stuff and headed to the hospital for a 3rd time. I had blood work, ultrasounds, monitoring, the works. We were discharged at 10 pm because my tests weren't bad enough to medically induce me and our hospital won't let you get induced until your due date. Chase took me home and I ate some dinner and at midnight I headed back to the hospital ALONE to be induced.

October 2nd- Since I was already 60% effaced but only 1cm dilated they decided start me on gels to get me fully effaced and then maybe I would dilate. I remember my nurse saying these gels never work the first time and they usually have to come back the next day to be induced again so I was ready to do a round of gels then go home and try again. Well that didn't happen. After my second dose of gels my contractions were getting really painful and a lot closer together. I never felt any contractions with Link so I wasn't sure if it was contractions or the cramps that the gels cause so when the nurse came to check me she was shocked to find that I was already 4 cm dilated! She told Kim and I was admitted after being in labor for 5 hours. I called Chase and told him to come down to the hospital. By the time he got there I was at 7 cm and in serious pain. I'll never forget him walking into the room and seeing his face, he looks so worried because I was crying through every contraction at that point. At that point I decided to get an epidural because I was so exhausted from being awake for over 30 hours. We relaxed and I slept a little, it was nice. Around 10 30 am I was feeling tons of pressure so Kim broke my water and it was so relieving. I was dilated to 9cm at that point so they left Chase and I alone but about a minute later I kept telling him that I really needed to push. I buzzed the nurse and she didn't answer and I started to kinda panic because I was trying to not push so hard but I couldn't hold it in anymore. Chase went to get the nurse when she finally answered me and I yelled through the intercom that I'm going to start pushing. Kim and the nurses ran in the room and got everything set up and I started pushing right away. I got through a few pushes and she was already started to crown, and to my dismay my epidural had worn off so I was feeling it for sure. After 2 contractions Ofelia came out and was laid directly on my chest. We all cried. They left her on my chest for almost an hour before they took her to get cleaned and weighed. Chase cut her cord after it stopped pulsing and then she nursed for the first time and did perfectly! She weighed 7 lbs 4 oz and was 20.5 inches, born at 10:58 am.

I wouldn't change anything in her birth story. It was perfect and so is she. We are so happy to have little sister in our family.


1 comment:

  1. Oh this is a beautiful birth story. I am so glad everything went well. She is beautiful and a great blessing to your sweet family! Hopefully someday I can meet her haha!

    ReplyDelete